1.0 The Scope & Purpose
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”) the data controller is Learning Post Ltd, Lidgett Lane, Leeds, LS25 1LL.
2.0 The Authority and Responsibility
This policy applies to all staff directly employed by LEARNING POST LTD, as well as any LEARNING POST LTD learners, members and partners.
Your privacy is extremely important to us so we only use the information you provide about yourself and/or your company to provide our services or to help us to improve our service to you. We do not share this information with any third party except to the extent necessary to provide the services within the terms and conditions agreed.
4.0 The information we collect
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms or submitting your details on our website www.learningpost.org (our “Website”). This includes information provided when ordering from us or completing our enquiry form. This may include your name, your organisation’s name, your position, email address, business address and contact telephone number. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our website.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Learning Post Ltd may ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
5.0 Our use of IP addresses and cookies
5.1 We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to analyse aggregate information. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
5.2 For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalized service. They enable us:
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to user needs.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to our site.
6.0 How we protect your information
6.1 All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
6.2 It is therefore at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict internal procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
6.3 We also keep your information confidential. The internal procedures of Learning Post Ltd cover the storage, access and disclosure of your information.
7.0 How we use your information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to access secure areas of our Website (such as ‘My Account’) when you choose to do so.
- To anonymously collate and analyse data such as ethnicity, age and gender for the purposes of measuring LEARNING POST LTD’s compliance with equality and diversity legislation and local authority statistical monitoring activities.
We may also use your data to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we may contact you about these by email, SMS, post or telephone.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, please contact us.
8.0 When we might disclose your data to third parties
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in a very limited number of circumstances:
- When accessing government funding on your behalf or on behalf of the company you represent
- When dealing with third parties essential for the provision of LEARNING POST LTD services to you, such as the issuing of nationally recognised qualifications
- When representing you or the organisation you represent as part of on-going service provision, such as liaison with our partners or relevant accreditation bodies
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- If all of the assets of Learning Post Ltd are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its clients will be one of the transferred assets
9.0 Your Rights
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partners and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
10.0 Your consent